2018 Dolce Far Niente Rosso Liqueur Shiraz
Available now online and in the cellar door
Jodie’s Bitter Chocolate Tart
- 175 grams of soft butter
- 75 grams of icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 250 grams of plain flour
- 250 grams of highest quality dark couverture chocolate
- 165 grams of butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 grams of caster sugar
- dutch process cocoa to dust
1. For the pastry, combine butter and icing sugar in a food processor and process until light and creamy. Add egg yolks one at a time, processing well after each addition. Add 25ml of cold water and process to combine.
2. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, add flour and fold to combine. Form into a large disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface until 5mm in thickness. Use the pastry to line a 28cm tart tin with a removable base. Cover and freeze for 1 hour.
4. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice, bake for 10 mins at 200 degrees Celcius. Remove paper and weights and return to the oven, baking for a further 5-8 mins or until pastry is lightly golden.
5. For the filling, melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool.
6. Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy, then fold in the cooled chocolate mixture.
7. Pour chocolate mixture into pastry tin and bake at 130 degrees Celcius for 15 minutes. The filling should be set around the edges with a slight wobble in the centre.
8. Allow to cool completely before dusting with cocoa powder. Serve with double cream and fresh berries.