Stay in with Moorooroo | 2014 Samuel Nitschke Reserve Cabernets

2014 Samuel Nitschke Reserve Cabernets

Wyndham has been lovingly crafting this signature blend since 2004. Cabernet Sauvignon makes up the majority of the blend with an 85% share, while the softening effects of Cabernet Franc make up the remaining 15%. Each year our Samuel Nitschke Cabernets is a bold, savoury wine with unparalleled structure and elegance.

2014 vintage provided a rare opportunity when Wyndham, while tasting barrel samples, discovered some truly exceptional examples from our Cabernet vineyards, even by Samuel Nitschke standards. While the wine was small in quantity it was so high in quality that Wyndham decided it was worth patiently waiting an extra year for these few barrels to reach their fullest potential. So four years became five and Samuel Nitschke became Samuel Nitschke Reserve.

2014 Samuel Nitschke Reserve Cabernets became the heaviest Cabernets wine we have ever produced, the extra time in barrel softens the tannins lending an exceptionally smooth finish. The aroma is cinnamon, marzipan and woody herbs and the palate is plum, liquorice, vanilla. A silky smooth finish is accompanied by a layered complexity that softly lingers. 

Our first ever Reserve Cabernets coincidentally became a ten year anniversary wine for us here at Moorooroo Park Vineyards, and we couldn’t be happier with the result. Today we’re inviting you to join us in opening a bottle of 2014 Samuel Nitschke Reserve Cabernets, and savouring an excellent wine while seeing out the final week of winter.

The Wine

 2014 Samuel Nitschke Reserve Cabernets

available now online and in cellar door

Drink with

Jodie’s Lamb Curry

Ingredients

Curry Paste

  • 1 tbs mustard seeds 
  • 4 tbs coriander seeds 
  • 4 tbs cumin seeds 
  • 1 tbs black peppercorns 
  • 1 bulb garlic, peeled
  • 6cm piece fresh ginger, grated
  • 3 tsp ground chilli 
  • 3 tsp ground turmeric 
  • 1/4 cup malt vinegar 
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Curry:

  • 1kg potato, peeled and diced 3cm pieces
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1kg diced lamb shoulder
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large brown onion, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 6cm piece fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 long red chilli, finely chopped
  • 400ml can coconut milk
  • 2 cinnamon stick
  • 2 bay leaf
  • Salt 
  • Pepper

Method
1. To make curry paste lightly toast mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and peppercorns over low heat. Once fragrant remove from heat and add to food processor with remaining paste ingredients. Process until smooth. Curry paste can be stored in a jar in the fridge and used as required.

2. Place diced potato in base of slow cooker. Combine flour and lamb with a generous amount of salt and pepper in a snap-lock bag. Seal and shake to coat. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Add lamb to slow cooker.

3. Add onion, garlic and ginger to pan. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add chilli and 1/4 cup of prepared curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add coconut milk and 1 cup of cold water. Bring to the boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. 

4. Cook, covered, on low for 6 hours or until lamb is tender.

5. Serve with steamed rice, fresh coriander and natural yoghurt.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin